|Your Visit||About the Museum||Collection||Special Events||News||Groups & Parties||Get Involved|
Metropolitan Transit Authority 3333
1946 Pullman-Standard Car Co.
by William E. Wood, March 2001
with contributions from Richard F. Kounetis
In June 1942 the Dallas Railway & Terminal Co. of Dallas, Texas placed an order for 25 PCC streetcars, Nos. 601 - 625. These were electric-air Presidents Conference Committee cars from Pullman Co. in Worcester, Mass. (the old Osgood Bradley plant in that city) under work order W6699.
These PCC cars were rare being double-ended. These cars didn't have hand brakes and did not have multiple-unit controls. The bodies had no standee windows, and had automobile type window mechanism and window guards. Cars equipped with dash lights and door vestibule lights, straps instead of stanchions for standees.
The order was delivered in June 1945 (war delayed construction) and were placed in service in July 1945. The original paint style was red, white and silver, but since Dallas made no direction on how it was to be applied, Pullman-Standard used Pacific Electric Railway layout and stencils to apply it. In 1949 the Dallas started to repaint the cars cream with red trim. In Dallas the cars were called "Gliding Beauties". They would operate in Dallas for 10 1/2 years, with service ending on January 3, 1956. In 1958, 8 cars of the group were sold to the Metropolitan Transit Authority (MTA) of Boston, Mass., being shipped in December 1958 and first part of 1959. In September 1959, the balance of 17 cars were bought by the MTA including #606, which became MTA #3333.
These Dallas P.C.C. cars were bought for $3,500 to replace the last of the standard Type 5 trolley cars (double-end) in Boston. After being shopped, which included painting to MTA colors, relocating the anti-climbers for the installation of non-M.U. couplers 0B - 8 (could not electrically M.U., but could couple with all other Boston PCC cars to tow in subway), window guards retained, and seat rearrangement for 49 passengers. Known as the "Texas Rangers", the former Dallas cars operated on the various turn-back services to the colleges and worked the Mattapan high-speed line. Later, some were converted to work cars.
Being double-ended made #3333 attractive for use at the Connecticut Trolley Museum and was bought in 1978 and moved to East Windsor the same year.
| Controls: Westinghouse XD423N
Motors: 4 - Westinghouse 1432HE
Brakes: Air, Electric, Dynamic
Copyright 2017 Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. All rights reserved.