|Your Visit||About the Museum||Collection||Special Events||News||Groups & Parties||Get Involved|
Illinois Terminal 451
1949 St. Louis Car Co.
by Richard F. Kounetis, March 2000
Car #451 is a double truck, double-ended, PCC streetcar built in 1949 by the St. Louis Car Company. It is equipped with all electric controls, four 55 hp General Electric 1220 E1 motors, B-3 trucks, and MFR-WAB track brakes.
The car was operated by the Illinois Terminal Railroad and ran between St. Louis, MO and Granite City, Illinois. The car was acquired by the museum in 1963 and was leased to the Shaker Heights division of the Cleveland Regional Transit Authority for three years. 451 was completely restored by them and returned to us in working condition.
President A. P. Titus signed the order for Presidents Conference Committee Cars #450 to #457 from the St. Louis Car Company June 23, 1948 and they were delivered by September 9, 1949. The job number was 1672 and there were only three more orders after that. The cars used four 55 hp G.E. 1220 EI motors, the cars were all electric, the crew size was two, and the bodies were the Fa style. The windows on the cars followed the Washington, D.C. pattern, they were 2F +1 + 4 + 2+ 5, right side, and 5 + 2 + 4 + 1 + 2R left side. The Illinois and San Francisco double-ended cars were not a part of the order book for PCC cars. The original style that was modified for the Illinois Terminal called for a 50-foot double-ended car; no standee windows; one set of conventional double stream front doors on each side of the cars and no center doors were included. They call such cars muzzle loaders. Five inches in length were added to the Illinois cars. The cars are 9-feet wide. The PCC cars had B-3 trucks for private right of way. Track brakes were MFR WAB. The Illinois Terminal cars were the smallest fleet of PCC cars ordered from the St. Louis Car Company and were built for $300,000.00. The cars came from the factory with couplers and the ability to run in multiple-units.
The route of the PCC cars was 6.3 miles long that started in a subway in St. Louis, Missouri, two blocks of city street, an elevated line, the company owned McKinley Bridge over the Mississippi River, and the city streets in Granite City, Illinois. After 1955 the system didn’t make a profit so a petition of abandonment was filed in 1957. At 12:35 pm on June 22, 1958 the last PCC car pulled out of the subway station and the place was locked up. Shaker Heights was going to buy the cars but the St. Louis subway was flooded and most of the cars were water damaged. Instead, they bought ten single-ended cars from the St. Louis Public Service. On July 24, 1959 they were sold to the Breimann Iron & Metal Co. and were stored at the McKinley Iron scrap yard. Red Arrow took a look at them in 1963 and declined to purchase them. Shortly after, Breimann scrapped the water damaged cars #452 through #457, and offered to sell #450 and #451 to museums. Car #450 went to the Ohio Railroad Museum in Worthington, Ohio, and car #451 came to the Connecticut Trolley Museum.
| Controls: 2 - 17KM12N5
Motors: 4 - General Electric 1220 E1
Brakes: Electric and Dynamic
Copyright 2017 Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. All rights reserved.