|Your Visit||About the Museum||Collection||Special Events||News||Groups & Parties||Get Involved|
Connecticut Company 840
1905 J. M. Jones
Car #840 is a double truck, double ended, cross bench, open wooden passenger streetcar manufactured in 1905 by J.M. Jones & Sons Company. It is equipped with two Taylor SB trucks, a DC3 air compressor, two K6 controllers, and two Westinghouse 93A motors.
This car ran originally for the Consolidated Railway as #383 and its open design meant it was heavily utilized for summer service. Besides day-to-day commuters and travellers, football fans were aquanted to these cars as it was part of the well known Yale Bowl fleet. As part of this fleet, on July 6, 1948, car 840 made its last trip through the streets of New Haven, Conn. and became the last open streetcar to run in revenue service in the United States. Soon after that, in 1948, car 840 was received by the Connecticut Trolley Museum.
| Controls: 2 - K6
Motors: 4 - Westinghouse 93A
Brakes: Standard Air
Copyright 2017 Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. All rights reserved.